Associate Director, Scientific Communications
Milestone Pharmaceuticals is an equal opportunity employer. This position will be in Charlotte, NC.
WHY JOIN MILESTONE?
At Milestone, we aspire to advance and implement paradigm shifts for cardiac therapy. We are currently focused on developing anti-arrhythmia treatments for self-administration outside of the emergency department or hospital setting for patients with acute episodes of paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia (PSVT) and atrial fibrillation (AFib), as well as other episodic cardiovascular conditions.
In addition to our science and innovation, we are a team guided and driven by our core values. Patient needs and empowerment are continually upheld as central to our mission. Our teamwork is strengthened in an environment in which we support and challenge each other while enjoying and celebrating our achievements. We maintain an entrepreneurial, proactive, and action-oriented mindset that places high value on grit, courage, and resolve. Decision-making is based on evaluating information and an idea’s merits; data-driven proposals are both supported and sought. We act individually and as a team with humility, candor, empathy, and unwavering integrity.
We have been successful in attracting and empowering best-in-class talent and we seek those with passion to join on our journey to develop treatments and to motivate change. We are excited about possibilities of this team and what we can accomplish together.
HOW WILL YOU ACHIEVE AT MILESTONE?
The Associate Director, Scientific Communications is responsible for the development of compliant medical publications as well as the management of publication partner agencies/vendors and the associated budgets, and oversight of internal medical writer/statistical led projects. This role collaborates with the scientific communication lead for the Cardiology/Arrhythmia/Electrophysiology therapeutic area and the medical affairs team in the development of comprehensive strategic publication plans as well as scientific communication plans. The Associate Director, Scientific l Communications is also responsible for leadership of the successful and timely implementation of publication and scientific plans within budget. The Associate Director, Medical Communications, reports into the Senior Director, Scientific Communication.
YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR
- Responsible for leading publication planning teams in the assignedtherapeutic area along with the development and implementation of a comprehensive publication plan. Strategic publication planning is conducted in collaboration with the Scientifc Communication lead and the Medical Affairs team.
- Responsible for the overseeing the development of abstracts, posters, oral presentations, and manuscripts fromMilestone sponsored clinical trials and other sponsored research, as well as review articles, opinion papers, plain language summaries and various digital enhancements of publications.
- Build effective partnerships with all internal stakeholders, including medical affairs directors, other medical communication leads, HEOR, biostatistics, clinical development, medical science liaisons, medical information, and other members of the publications team
- Ensure collaboration with internal and field medical affairs and communication of the publication strategy, including external contributing authors
- Establish strong working relationships with authors and other external experts
- Manage day to day interactions with publication agencies and participate in vendor selection activities
- Assist with the coordination of internal writing or statistical resources
- Assist in the management of all financial and contractual aspects of assigned projects, including external vendors.
- Coordinate publication reviews and integration of reviewer comments via the publications database
- Ensure that all developed materials are reviewed and appropriately signed off according to Milestone SOPs and maintain archive of approved materials within the appropriate management system
- Assist in the review of publications for medical accuracy, fair balance, and ensuring adherence to Milestone policies and good publication practice
- Ensure all Milestone-sponsored publications are developed according to Milestone publication policy and good publication practice, including published guidelines (e.g., GPP3/4, ICMJE, CONSORT)
- Reviews and interprets product data from preclinical, clinical development, statistics, and health economics departments within Milestone and external investigators to determine appropriate publications for inclusion in tactical publications plans
- Advanced scientific degree (Doctorate preferred: Ph.D., PharmD, or MD)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in pharmaceutical, medical communications/publications, medical writing, or other medical affairs scientific functions, or at a medical communications agency as a medical director and writer. Publications leader experience within the pharmaceutical industry is preferred
- Prior Cardiovascular experience preferred
- Extensive experience in strategic publication planning and execution of publication plans
- Strong Knowledge of current good publication practices and guidelines and medical writing guidelines (e.g., GPP4, ICMJE, CONSORT)
- Demonstrated experience interacting with and collaborating with authors and other external experts; ability to effectively interact with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience managing external agencies preferred
- Understand clinical trial research, the drug development process, and GCP requirements, and have experience with reviewing clinical trial data
- Prior medical writing experience preferred
- Proficiency with computer programs such as MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, as well as databases such as PubMed
- Constantly operating a computer, printer, telephone, and other similar office machinery
- Responsibilities may periodically require a work schedule that may include working outside of normal work hours, including evenings and weekends, to meet business demands
- Occasional public contact requiring appropriate business apparel
- Embodies a can-do entrepreneurial mindset with a willingness to both lead and support key company initiatives
- Leads by example attracts, and develops talent builds partnerships and creates a culture of collaboration and high-performing teams that fosters open communication, constructive feedback, and organizational flexibility
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of the team and/or organization to enable higher performance
- Combines a welcoming and caring personality with a positive, enthusiastic attitude
- Demonstrates high ethical standards and integrity, including demonstrated adherence to all corporate, compliance, and regulatory guidelines and procedures
- Learns quickly and adapts rapidly in complex and/or stressful situations, with the ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo by asking questions and challenging appropriately
- Creates a learning environment and is open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
- Ability to travel (20-30%)
*Candidates who live and/or can relocate to Charlotte, NC in the future are preferred. However, this position can be filled remotely. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply and will be considered.
Covid-19 Vaccination Policy: All Milestone employees, regardless of work location, must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. This requirement includes a booster dose once eligible. Requests for exemption for medical or sincerely held religious beliefs will be considered.
EEOC Statement: Milestone believes in a diverse environment and is committed to equal employment opportunities for all its employees and qualified applicants. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legal reasons protected status. Milestone will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.
To apply, please visit the Milestone Pharmaceuticals Careers page